[U-Boot] u-boot NAND memory use

Michael Galime mgalime at datacomsystems.com
Mon Oct 4 20:41:55 CEST 2010

Hi.

I have a board which I am using Uboot on.  Arm9, nand flash, etc.

Currently the board has the uboot image and the ENV in one partition,
size 0x00200000.

I would like to make another partition for the ENV so that if I have to
upgrade Uboot I don't lose my ENV.

What size does the partition have to be?

And where in the Uboot code do I change the memory location and size for
the env so I can rebuild Uboot and start using a new ENV partition?

I have eldk set up on my Linux VM and have received our current Uboot
project modded for our target.  I have successfully built a duplicate of
and re-flashed the Uboot I'm currently running on my target card so I
know I'm good to go as far as building and deploying.

Another side question is about FW_print/set/saveenv.  We are running
Linux on this board and would like to mod the  ENV from Linux for
network config changes?  Is this the best way to do it?  I'm assuming
once I know where my ENV lives I would just put that in the config file
for FW_printenv.

Hopefully my questions are not too rudimentary.

Regards,

Michael Galime