[U-Boot] RFQ: Makefile cleanup

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Oct 6 23:19:42 CEST 2010

Dear Scott Wood,

In message <20101006154256.20239b92 at udp111988uds.am.freescale.net> you wrote:

> How about having the board's config.mk do something like:
>
> ifdef CONFIG_NAND_SPL
> TEXT_BASE = ...
> endif

Assuming we want to go for Kconfig or similar, I would like to keep
such logic out of the config.mk files (at least not add more than
there already is).

> Well, that addresses the line length argument, at the cost of complexity
> and syntax obscurity.  But I changing TEXT_BASE to CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE
> is something we probably want to do anyway.  If we ever switch to
> kconfig, and we want the text base to be part of that, it will have to
> start with CONFIG_.

Good point.

> Even if we don't change TEXT_BASE now, we don't want to encourage
> people to add any new symbols in the second category.  If we do add
> some hack to the boards.cfg syntax for this, IMHO it ought to be just
> for TEXT_BASE and not a generalized symbol setter.

Agreed.

> Are we dropping the MK_ that mkconfig currently adds, BTW?  Some
> examples in the introductory text use it and some don't.

Yes, these get dropped.  All we want todo is provide a different way
to set configuration options, and a separate name space adds more
problems than benefits.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It seems intuitively obvious to me, which  means  that  it  might  be
wrong.                                                 -- Chris Torek