[U-Boot] Cellphones U-Boot and GPL

Simone Navari simnav at email.it
Thu Oct 7 14:48:44 CEST 2010

I've recently bought an Acer cellphone powerd by Android. For fun I
looked inside the update files and checking the bootloader binary I've
discovered that it is based on U-Boot v2009.01 (the string is clearly
visible using an Hex Editor), so I disassembled the first part of
file, comparing it with start.S in u-boot-1.1.6/cpu/arm926ejs (this is
the core of microprocessor: an st-ericson u6715) and it only slightly
different. Now my question: U-Boot is released under GPLv2 license; is
Acer obliged to give source code if requested (paying the appropriate
fee for the physical transfer) ?

Best regards
Simone Navari

 Sponsor:
 Idee Regalo Personalizzate a partire da euro 3.90! Su MisterCupido.com alta qualità a prezzi imbattibili... e questa settimana GRATIS per te, la confezione regalo!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=11027&d=7-10