[U-Boot] Cellphones U-Boot and GPL

Ken MacLeod ken at bitsko.slc.ut.us
Thu Oct 7 17:14:17 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> In message <6B3EDE875CA549879D5F776404C05FDB at snavari01> you wrote:
>> I've recently bought an Acer cellphone powerd by Android.

>> Now my question: U-Boot is released under GPLv2 license; is
>> Acer obliged to give source code if requested (paying the appropriate
>> fee for the physical transfer) ?
>
> Short and simple answer: yes, of course they are.

The Linux kernel source code for the Acer Liquid phone is available
for download under the "Document" tab of their Service & Support
Downloads page.

If I recall correctly, U-Boot isn't a common bootloader for Android
devices so that Acer team may not have realized U-Boot also needed to
be released.

  -- Ken