[U-Boot] (no subject)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Oct 10 10:35:36 CEST 2010

Dear Stefan,

your commit

	commit 8a805df13615667ebdcc9f3a3a6fbf6c7778a992
	Author: Stefan Roese <sr at denx.de>
	Date:   Thu Sep 16 14:01:53 2010 +0200

	    ppc4xx/fdt/flash: Change fdt_fixup_nor_flash_node() to not
	    rely on cs size

breaks building allboards that have both
CONFIG_FDT_FIXUP_NOR_FLASH_SIZE and CONFIG_SYS_NO_FLASH defined.

The reason is that CONFIG_FDT_FIXUP_NOR_FLASH_SIZE references
flash_info[], which is not defined when CONFIG_SYS_NO_FLASH is set.

Currently this affects especially the sequoia_ramboot configuration.

In "include/configs/acadia.h" you fixed this like this:

124 /*
125  * No NOR-flash on Acadia when NAND-booting. We need to undef the
126  * NOR device-tree fixup code as well, since flash_info is not defined
127  * in this case.
128  */
129 #define CONFIG_SYS_NO_FLASH             1
130 #undef CONFIG_FDT_FIXUP_NOR_FLASH_SIZE
131 #endif

We could obviously do the same for sequoia_ramboot, but I think the
"fix" for the Acadia boar dis actually not a good idea.

Why would you completely disable access to the NOR flash just because
somebody decides to boot fom NAND?  I think this is a very bad idea.
I know of many use cases where customers (espeically such without
access to a BDI3000 like to keep copies of U-Boot both in NOR and in
NAND, so they can use the altenative copy to recover the system in
case they happen to corrupt on U-Boot image.

However, you cannot use the NAND booting version to restore U-Boot in
Nor when you completely disable all NOR support.

This needs to be reworked, please.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Most legends have their basis in facts.
	-- Kirk, "And The Children Shall Lead", stardate 5029.5