[U-Boot] RFQ: Makefile cleanup

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Oct 10 17:46:38 CEST 2010

Hi all

In message <20101010151418.C169F14F310 at gemini.denx.de> I wrote:

> > Well, that addresses the line length argument, at the cost of complexity
> > and syntax obscurity.  But I changing TEXT_BASE to CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE
> > is something we probably want to do anyway.  If we ever switch to
> > kconfig, and we want the text base to be part of that, it will have to
> > start with CONFIG_.
>
> OK. I tried this, but I'm actually running into a catch-22 situation
> after moving the CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE settings into boards.cfg: Some
> boards (especially such that support both booting from NOR or,
> alternatively, from NAND flash, or from RAM) contain only a default
> setting for CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE in their board specific config.mk
> file. For example "board/amcc/sequoia/config.mk":

In case anybody what's to see this problem in action, I've pushed my
current working tree into the "Makefile-cleanup" branch of the
u-boot-testing repository, see

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-testing.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/Makefile-cleanup

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
No man knows what true happiness is until he gets married.  By  then,
of course, its too late.