[U-Boot] ICACHE in core initialization to improve u-boot boot time: Breaks booting with i2c code while executing in flash.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Oct 20 21:50:45 CEST 2010

Dear Richard Retanubun,

In message <4CBDC153.30008 at RuggedCom.com> you wrote:

> It does not work on our platform (similar to MPC8360EMDS). I think this is specific to our platform because
> we need to initialize i2c and use i2c while still executing from flash in checkboard()) to read and parse a board-id i2c-eeprom
> to support a unified uboot binary for multiple board flavors.

Many boards do that. Some keep the environment in I2C EEPROM as well.
This should not collide ith instruction caches on.

> Just an FYI mostly, I am okay with not having ICACHE for our board while in uboot.
> Just curious if you know of a reason from the limited explanation I've provided.

Check how your boot device (NOR flash) is mapped - make sure it has
the BI (burst inhibit) bit set (or whatever it may be called on that
CPU).

> Also, as a general rule, does uboot accept hosting custom non-eval-platform boards?

Yes, of course. We have tons of them.

> I'm tempted to mainline our code (mostly contained under /board/$company_name/...)

That is highly recommended, as it will make it much easier for you to
keep the code working during the product's lifetime.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Life is a garment we continuously alter, but which  never  seems  to
fit."                                                  - David McCord