[U-Boot] ALERT! >90% of all board configurations BROKEN

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Oct 25 22:00:19 CEST 2010

Hello,

this is an ALERT!

I just noticed (when debugging a strage phenomenon) that most of the
board configurations (170 out of 191 for PowerPC, _ALL_ for ARM) are
broken, because the size of struct global_data has grown but
CONFIG_SYS_GBL_DATA_SIZE has not been adapted (commit 91a7675 added
32 bytes - and yes, I am to blame for that, where is that brown paper
bag...)

Fact is, the overwhelming majority of boards has currently problems
like this:

sizeof(struct global_data) = 136, CONFIG_SYS_GBL_DATA_SIZE = 128

This may appear to work, or may cause "funny" errors, or simply hangs
the board hard very early in booting.

If you are debugging strange problems, check this first!

In the mean time I will try to come up with a clean solution for that.

Um... and sorry.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
No question is too silly to ask. Of course, some  questions  are  too
silly to to answer...  - L. Wall & R. L. Schwartz, _Programming Perl_