[U-Boot] Kernel OOPS on memcpy - bad memory setup?

Kristoffer Ericson kristoffer.ericson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 21:53:24 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 09:15:55PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Kristoffer Ericson,
>
> In message <20101028190714.GD893 at boggieman.bredbandsbolaget.se> you wrote:
> >
> > > No. U-Boot is long dead and gone when Linux boots.
> >
> > Is that true even if I were to setup the memory registers incorrect?
>
> It is truye that U-Boot ceases to exist as soon as Linux starts
> executing.
>
> > I thought that linux pretty much expected the bootloader
> > to setup everything regarding the memory settings?
>
> Of course Linux relies on proper hardware initialization by the boot
> loader.

alright.

> > Oh, and IF I configured the memory incorrect, I should be able
> > to see somekind of fault when doing a memtest in u-boot, correct?
>
> No. Usually this is NOT the case.
>
> > Or atleast that the write != read values?
>
> No. Please read the FAQ:
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/UBootCrashAfterRelocation

Very useful information. So in short (just to make it crystal clear):
Even if u-boot works fine and linux starts without
any issues and can run some binaries (busybox from what I see) okey.
If I am seeing some kernel oops when running bigger binaries (e.g apt/ipkg) / doing heavier stuff
(trying to ftp/lynx through pcmcia card), it could be cause by bad memory configuration and/or bad initialization?