[U-Boot] Trying to understand ARM926EJS/start.S

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Oct 30 21:21:16 CEST 2010

Dear Albert ARIBAUD,

In message <4CCC69E4.8090103 at free.fr> you wrote:

> > 	ldr	r0, _TEXT_BASE		/* r0<- Text base */
> > %%% why are we using _TEXT_BASE here and not _start?
>
> Because we're accessing the relocation tables in the FLASH (or freshly
> NAND-loaded) "source" copy of u-boot, not in the RAM "target" copy (in
> which the relocation tables won't exist).

Sorry, but I don't understand this explanation.

With the linker script we make sure that the symbol _start gets linked
to the absolute address CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE, right?  And _TEXT_BASE
is a storage that holds exactly the value CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE, which
should be identical to the address of _start ?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The trouble with our times is that the future is not what it used  to
be.                                                     - Paul Valery