[U-Boot] ARM: problem with linker option -pie

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Sun Oct 31 09:51:19 CET 2010

Hi Reinhart,

Le 31/10/2010 09:40, Reinhard Meyer a écrit :
> Dear Albert ARIBAUD,
>
>> CS toolchain emits lots of
>> warnings about type-punned pointer dereferencing, though none in nand
>> code, and I think these are not related to our issue.
>
> Same with gcc 4.3.5
>
>> I will now analyze the patch code to see if it contains relocations that
>> should have applied but did not, or if it misses relocations altogether.
>> My currently favored bet right now is that BSS may have gotten its own
>> relocation table in later toolchains, but that's only a bet.
>
> u-boot.bin is 257KiB with 4.2.4 but only 251KiB with 4.3.5 !
> Either its much better optimised or the relocation info shrunk which
> _might_ indicate something is missing in it...

 From what I see, the code generator emits "denser" code, which *could*
result in a smaller relocation table, but that depends if the denser
code does uses less literals (they're what makes the size of relocation
tables). So I have to dive into some sample functions and see for
myself; the fact that the linker obviously reorders code within .text
does not help me much. :/

> Compiled with 4.3.5 last output is the "DRAM: 64 MiB" message. Then silence.
>
> I suppose you don't need u-boot.elf from me, if otherwise, ping me:)

I'm ok now that I have a non-working toolchain to play with. :)

> Best Regards,
> Reinhard

Amicalement,
--