[U-Boot] ARM: problem with linker option -pie

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Oct 31 10:24:34 CET 2010

Dear Albert ARIBAUD,

In message <4CCD26B7.8090503 at free.fr> you wrote:

> I can now reproduce the issue using ELDK 4.2 ("works") and CS
> arm-2010q1-202 ("does not work") toolchains on openrd_base and current
> tip of master plus Alexander's RFC patch. CS toolchain emits lots of
> warnings about type-punned pointer dereferencing, though none in nand
> code, and I think these are not related to our issue.

These are indeed unrelated.

> I will now analyze the patch code to see if it contains relocations that
> should have applied but did not, or if it misses relocations altogether.
> My currently favored bet right now is that BSS may have gotten its own
> relocation table in later toolchains, but that's only a bet.

Hm.... probably not BSS as such, but eventually the linker treats
segments without "LOAD" attribute differently?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Evil does seek to maintain power by suppressing the truth."
"Or by misleading the innocent."
	-- Spock and McCoy, "And The Children Shall Lead",
	   stardate 5029.5.