[U-Boot] How to adapt top-level Makefile tricks to current boards.cfg

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Sep 1 17:20:30 CEST 2010

Hi os user,

> Hi All,
>
> In top-level Makefile, there are some tricks to support more config
> items. For example,
>
> Lite5200_config				\
> Lite5200_LOWBOOT_config			\
> Lite5200_LOWBOOT08_config		\
> icecube_5200_config			\
> icecube_5200_LOWBOOT_config		\
> icecube_5200_LOWBOOT08_config		\
> icecube_5200_DDR_config			\
> icecube_5200_DDR_LOWBOOT_config		\
> icecube_5200_DDR_LOWBOOT08_config:	unconfig
> 	@mkdir -p $(obj)include
> 	@mkdir -p $(obj)board/icecube
> 	@[ -z "$(findstring LOWBOOT_,$@)" ] || \
> 		if [ "$(findstring DDR,$@)" ] ; \
> 			then echo "TEXT_BASE = 0xFF800000" >$(obj)board/icecube/config.tmp ; \
> 			else echo "TEXT_BASE = 0xFF000000" >$(obj)board/icecube/config.tmp ; \
> 		fi
> 	@[ -z "$(findstring LOWBOOT08,$@)" ] || \
> 		echo "TEXT_BASE = 0xFF800000" >$(obj)board/icecube/config.tmp
> 	@[ -z "$(findstring DDR,$@)" ] || \
> 		echo "#define CONFIG_MPC5200_DDR" >>$(obj)include/config.h
> 	@$(MKCONFIG) -n $@ -a IceCube powerpc mpc5xxx icecube
>

> If we want to apply this kind of trick to current boards.cfg, what
> should we do? Add a lot of items in boards.cfg?

That's the idea - one line per supported configuration.  Somehow we need
something like the "-t" trick of mkconfig though and as yet we have no
working solution for this.

Ideally the configuration name (1st column) will be split into a base
configuration plus options which result in individual defines tha can be
used in the code.  I think Wolfgang started to work on this, so I
especially ping him on this one.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Some mathematicians become so tense these days that they do not go to
sleep during seminars.