[U-Boot] MPC8536 custom board without SPD EEPROM configured DDR

Carlos Roberto Moratelli carlos.moratelli at digitel.com.br
Thu Sep 2 13:49:37 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am facing some issues porting u-boot to a MPC8536 custom board. My
custom board doesn't implement SPD EEPROM to configure ddr, so I must
setup ddr manually.

I am starting from MPC8536ds target. This board uses a SPD EEPROM to
configure the ddr controler. So, I undefined CONFIG_SPD_EEPROM and I am
trying setup ddr manually.

My u-boot freeze at relocation code. Usually  this is result of a ddr
bad configuration. But, I was reading code from other targets like
MPC8540ads and I noted that when I undefine CONFIG_SPD_EEPROM some code
is enabled to configure law registers and tlb for ddr. For exemple:

board/freescale/mpc8540ads/law.c
#ifndef CONFIG_SPD_EEPROM
	SET_LAW(CONFIG_SYS_DDR_SDRAM_BASE, LAW_SIZE_128M, LAW_TRGT_IF_DDR),
#endif

The same happens at board/freescale/mpc8540ads/tlb.c.

I was expecting find a similar code for MPC8536ds target. But it doesn't
configure law and tbl for ddr when CONFIG_SPD_EEPROM is disabled.

My question is why this happens to the MPC8536ds target? I suppose I
must configure law and tbl entries in a similar way like MPC8540ads.

Regards,

Carlos R. Moratelli