[U-Boot] zImage on ARM

Paulraj, Sandeep s-paulraj at ti.com
Fri Sep 3 00:45:10 CEST 2010

> I have a client that has asked me to look into loading zImage files
> instead of uImage for some ARM based boards.
>
> A quick search of the code base turned up some zimage code in the i386
> area.
>
> Any words of advice or warning in doing something similar for ARM?
>
> Anyone familiar with the history of why uImage is the preferred
> format?  Just trying to learn . . .
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

Honestly I do not know about pitfalls but using I have used zImage will doing board bring ups of new SOCs. It is easy to load a zImage from a IDE like CCS in TI's case.

When we get the first EVMs even the bootloaders are not up and running so zImage along with CCS comes in very handy. You can directly load into DDR and boot up the kernel.

Sandeep