[U-Boot] Delay in U-boot Booting , Running U-boot from NOR Flash

Gurumurthy Gowdar gurumurthy.gm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 11:06:50 CEST 2010

Hi wolfgang,

In message <AANLkTikH5D7VCkTG969=OWfvQfAs_ojoxTn_+dzsZS8u at mail.gmail.com>
you wrote:

>                      I have given boot delay 3 seconds but this delay is
for
> autobooting , my problem is not able to see u-boot booting messages (
> console messages) on Minicom or Kermit  as soon as power is up. Its should
> take less than 500ms to print console messages when u-boot boots up as far
> know.

Right. Messages should appear after a few milliseconds when booting
from NOR.

Ya you are right.

> About booting from NOR Flash, I thought there may be an issue in DDR2
> (SDRAM) initialization and relocating which is taking more time.

U-Boot will start printing messages long before it starts accessing
the RAM.

So I dont think any issue in the DDR2 RAM initialization in my case.

> Please need comments on this delay in u-boot messages printing on console.
> what may be the issue?

Misconfiguration of your hardware / port?  Eventually you are running
at an extremely slow clock rate?

CPU clock is at higher rate 660MHz which is the maximum clock for this
series of CPU, how port information can be wrong as I am getting the
messages on console on this port.

May be misconfiguration and initialization of NOR Flash taking more time, it
is not getting chip select at right time, this is my understanding. Please
let me know if any thing I need to cross verify in this regard.

With Regards,

Gurumurthy Gowdar