[U-Boot] Handling dual die and single die flash on same board

Chris Packham judge.packham at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 19:05:46 CEST 2010

Hi,

I've run into a situation with a new design and I could use some pointers.

Our hardware designers have built prototypes with different flash
configurations. One possible configuration is a dual die 2x32MB the
other is a single die 1x64MB.

My u-boot config is currently setup for the 2x32MB case i.e.
CONFIG_SYS_MAX_FLASH_BANKS = 2, CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_BANKS_LIST = {base,
base+32MB}. The problem with this is that when flash_get_size is called
on the 1x64 chip it discovers the same chip the 2nd time around and
promptly walks off the end of the memory area I have allocated for it.

Is there any existing way to make the cfi_flash driver handle this
situation for me?

Thanks,
Chris Packham