[U-Boot] zImage on ARM

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 8 22:32:56 CEST 2010

Dear Scott Wood,

In message <20100908152335.6d280806 at schlenkerla.am.freescale.net> you wrote:

> > Why not use uImage like we do with other architectures?
>
> Whereas they'd say why can't U-Boot accept a simple binary, and just
> run it in place without copying, like any other loader can?

U-Boot can do that. Use the "go" command.

> Sure, uImage has some advantages, but why force the matter?

We don't force it. uImage is used because of the advantages, but
if you feel like it you can always use "go". Just don't complain that
you then lose some nice features ;-)

> > Why is it that ARM always has to try to reinvent the wheels?
>
> I believe the zImage wheel was invented before the uImage wheel. :-)

Yes, and it was found to have a number of deficiencies when used in
embedded systems.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Certainly there are things in life that money  can't  buy,  but  it's
very funny - Did you ever try buying them without money? - Ogden Nash