[U-Boot] Summary of my patches for v2010.12 merge window

Ira W. Snyder iws at ovro.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 9 23:03:56 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 09:44:13PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Timur Tabi,
>
> In message <4C893536.6020109 at freescale.com> you wrote:
> >
> > 1. [v2] p1022ds: add audclk hwconfig setting to enable codec reference clock
> > 2. fsl: verify writes to the MAC address EEPROM
> > 3. always relocate fdt into an lmb-allocated memory block
> > 4. logos: add Freescale logo
> > 5. [v3] fsl: refactor MPC8610 and MPC5121 DIU code to use existing bitmap
> > and logo features
> > 6. p1022ds: add video support
>
> Patches 5 and 6 are video related (and eventually # 4 as well); they
> need to go through Anatolij.
>
> > Please note that Wolfgang has asked for someone else to test "always
> > relocate fdt into an lmb-allocated memory block", but no one has done so
> > yet, and you have no indicated that anyone will.
>
> Indeed this needs to be tested.

Per a conversation with Timur on linuxppc-dev, I have tested this patch
on an MPC8349EMDS board. It caused no problems. In order to force the
new code path to have an effect, I loaded my FIT image below
CONFIG_SYS_BOOTMAPSZ. Here is the relevant output from both runs:

Vanilla U-Boot (FIT image loaded to 0xa00000 == 10MB):
   Verifying Hash Integrity ... crc32+ OK
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0xc6a278
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

With Timur's patch:
   Verifying Hash Integrity ... crc32+ OK
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0xc42d6c
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

You'll notice that Timur's patch now relocates the FDT, whereas vanilla
U-Boot did not.

If I load my FIT image above CONFIG_SYS_BOOTMAPSZ, both U-Boots (with
and without the patch) behave identically.

Hope it helps,
Ira