[U-Boot] status of patch to store environment to mmc/sd

Amit Kucheria amit.kucheria at verdurent.com
Fri Sep 10 09:49:47 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Stefano Babic <sbabic at denx.de> wrote:
> Reinhard Meyer wrote:

[snip]

>> How do you make sure the
>> blocks don't overwrite files or don't get overwritten by files?
>
> Writing a correct partition table: the first partition must start after
> u-boot code and environment, used as raw-blocks. There is then no
> possibility for files to overwrite the environment or the code.

Right. This is our usage model currently, that the patch in question solves.

>> One can, of course, prepare the card with a small partition spanning
>> the env blocks.
>
> As I said, it is not required to have a partition for the environment,
> because this is read only as raw-block. It is only required to skip the
> first blocks (or the block set in the config file).
>

>> Should the env not be saved in a file? Which is probably a bit beyond
>> possibility to read when not yet relocated...
>
> Reading the environment from a file should be in a separate patch and
> made much more general ;-)
>
> It is not related to a specific storage. We could have a filesystem even
> on other storages (SPI-Flash, NAND, HD...) and "reading from file"
> should IMHO hide the underlying storage media.

Reading from filesystems brings up the obvious question - which
filesystems should we support?

And it is definitely a separate patch. The feature that this patch is
enabling can exist independent of filesystem support.

Regards,
Amit