[U-Boot] Multiple binaries built through u-boot source

V, Aneesh aneesh at ti.com
Tue Sep 14 15:33:53 CEST 2010

Hi,

It's sheer coincidence that I also wanted to post a very similar query
today. We have a similar requirement for OMAP platforms.

Presently, we are maintaining a mini bootloader(called x-loader, based
on u-boot)separately. We want to integrate x-loader with u-boot and
up-stream the source code.

> > Take a look at the NAND_SPL infrastructure (nand_spl/*). It was
> created for
> > platforms booting from NAND with tight restrictions (e.g. 4k image
> size for
> > inital setup, mostly DDR). General idea here is that 2 images are
> created:
> >
> > a) Very small SPL (secondary program loader) image with only basic
> >    setup, like DDR and NAND
> > b) RAM based U-Boot image
> >
> > Both images are combined in the build process creating a single
> image that can
> > be flashed into NAND.
> >
> > doc/README.nand-boot-ppc440 might be interesting to get some more
> infos about
> > this, some of it PPC4xx specific though.

This looks promising. However, our SPL has to load u-boot from MMC. Is
it OK to keep it under nand_spl directory or should we create
something like 'mmc_spl'?

Best regards,
Aneesh