[U-Boot] what is "legacy image"?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 15 08:55:01 CEST 2010

Dear =?gbk?B?IkJhaSxjaHVuIiA=?=,

In message <391830493.89.1284520552700.JavaMail.root at bj-mail08.pku.edu.cn> you wrote:

> I saw "Loading init Ramdisk from Legacy Image at 82000000..." in the boot log.
> So, what and why is "Legacy Image"? and what is not a legacy image?

A "legacy image" is the old image format created as default by the
"mkimage" tool; the new, recommended image format is called "FIT
images" (FIT = flattened image tree); see doc/uImage.FIT/ for more
information.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It is wrong always, everywhere and for everyone to  believe  anything
upon  insufficient  evidence.  - W. K. Clifford, British philosopher,
circa 1876