[U-Boot] RE : Davinci DM365 custom design : Problem when reading uBoot environment variables

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 17 14:37:21 CEST 2010

Dear Reda MIMOUNE,

In message <1918F436C366B34BB245DD28389E039453ADFAAD25 at mars.easii.fr> you wrote:

> Have a question about it, if I upgrade to a new version of uBoot. Is it guaranteed that mkimage
> will wrap the uboot binary the same way. Is mkimage the same version ?

Of course mkimage is not the same version. When upgrade to a new
version of U-Boot, you also get a new version of mkimage.

> If yes, I think I will upgrade.

Where would you expect problems?  You can build and test the new
version of mkimage before updating the U-Boot image on your target
board.

And you can keep the old mkimage tool around for reference as well.

> Of course, I understood that. My question was in the config file. I put this:
>
> #define CFG_ENV_SECT_SIZE			SZ_16K
> #define CFG_ENV_SIZE				SZ_128K

This makes no sense. I doubt that your NAND flash has 16 kB sectors.

Also I seriously doubt that you need 128 kB for environment.

> I saw something equivalent in the Evalution board of Davinci DM365 so it should not be
> impossible.

Please do not copy code without thinking.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
All this doesn't alter anything, you know. The world is still full of
stupid people. They don't use their brains. They don't seem  to  want
to think straight.                    - Terry Pratchett, _Soul Music_