[U-Boot] request for ubifs recovery support

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Fri Sep 17 18:44:38 CEST 2010

I've configured my device (a Seagate DockStar) with just two NAND
flash partitions -- one for u-boot and one for the Linux rootfs.

This has some nice advantages: it maximizes the available flash space,
and allows the Linux distribution's own tools to install new kernel
and initramfs files without having to know about flash partitions.

But I just discovered that it has a fatal disadvantage.  My device
can't reboot when the ubifs is corrupted, which happened today after a
power failure:

    UBIFS: recovery needed
    Error reading superblock on volume 'ubi:root'!

Ubifs includes recovery code, but since u-boot treats it as a
read-only mount, this is never performed.  Once I booted Linux,
everything was fine.

I'd like to request that the read-only flag be removed (at least to
allow recovery) so that the ubifs-only scheme can be used reliably.