[U-Boot] [RFC] Driver model

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 24 19:35:09 CEST 2010

Dear Marek Vasut,

In message <201009241737.27335.marek.vasut at gmail.com> you wrote:

> > Using the DT for run-time configuration of U-Boot would be especially
> > interesting. Assume: a single U-Boot image for all - say - OMAP3
> > boards...
>
> This looks very cool. I thought about this and I came to a further idea:
> * Make "minimal" u-boot that'd be independent of DTree
> * Upon setting variable "fdt" to an address of the DTree, enable remaining
> components of uboot
>
> The second point would allow booting a platform in case the DTree was faulty. Or
> we can have a known-good DTree and a variable that'd allow to override it, that
> might be even better.

We will probably need something like that anyway - the "minimal
configuration" being largely what is running before relocation, the
"full configuration" when we have full access to normal resources.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
There were meetings. There were always meetings. And they were  dull,
which is part of the reason they were meetings. Dull likes company.
                                    - Terry Pratchett, _Making_Money_