[U-Boot] [RFC] Driver model

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 24 20:59:11 CEST 2010

Dear Albert ARIBAUD,

In message <4C9CE432.7060100 at free.fr> you wrote:

> Stop me if I'm wrong, but basically this would imply that u-boot be
> built with support for the largest possible device combination, thus be
> rather big, right? ...

Probably yes - similar to how Linux kernels are configured today by
default, i. e. one kernel image being able to run on all (or at least
a wide range of) boards of the same architecture, or even of a number
of similar / compatible architectures.

>                ... I hope the ability to trim it down u-boot to a
> minimum is retained, though, i.e. be able to choose between a
> one-size-fits-all binary that will run on anything *or* a tight fit that
> will run only on a given platform with minimal footprint (or anything
> in-between, actually).

Of course. We will always allow customized, board specific
configurations that can be kept as small as possible if they don't
need this feature.

But if you look at current trends with SoC and board manufacturers, it
would be really great if we could have some image that covers more
than just one or two boards.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to  stu-
dents that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers
they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.   - Dijkstra