[U-Boot] [RFC] utilize flash small block sizes to reduce flash footprint

Andreas Pretzsch apr at cn-eng.de
Mon Sep 27 16:29:11 CEST 2010

Am Montag, den 27.09.2010, 10:59 +0200 schrieb Wolfgang Denk:
> You design a big and somewhat complicate solution for a problem which

ACK. Had the linker approach also in mind, but didn't want to touch each
and every lds. But definitively the more elegant solution.

> does not exist, because it has already been solved more than a decase
> ago, i. e. right with the very first versions of U-Boot (or PPCBoot, as
> it was called by then).
>
> We call this feature "embedded environment", and all what it takes to
> use it oin a machine is a somehwat hand-crafted version of the linker
> script which aligns the location of the environmentin the right
> (small) flash sectors.
>
> This works like a charm, and I recommend you have a look into this.

Sigh. Big brown paper bag for me.

Solves exactly the "issue" I described and works perfectly. And is
documented very well in the README. As usual, things are already solved
in U-Boot. Thanks for the pointer.

Really had blinkers on, no idea why I didn't see it. Respectively, saw
it but somehow mixed it up with hardcoded, read-only environment.
Lession learned: Get some sleep before scribbling senseless RFCs.

Sorry for the noise, case closed.

--

carpe noctem engineering
Ingenieurbuero fuer Hard- & Software-Entwicklung Andreas Pretzsch
89073 Ulm, Germany                        email: apr at cn-eng.de