[U-Boot] Linux boot and list loading feature

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 2 15:45:09 CEST 2011

Dear Aneesh V,

In message <4E37F082.9060402 at ti.com> you wrote:

> If my suggestion works I would still prefer that. If you want better
> configurability you can always use u-boot! Direct kernel boot from SPL
> is likely to be used in production systems for improved boot-time,
> where it should be OK to hard-code the boot-args. Using u-boot seems to
> be a better option if changing bootargs frequently is a requirement.

Hard-coding the boot args in the kernel image is a major pain and
thus something you really want to avoid.

> Please note that any scheme that you comes up with should also work for
> FAT boot from SD/MMC card, which means you need to have a way of
> converting your ATAGS list into a file, reading it and so on. A lot of
> trouble without much value-add in my opinion(assuming that hard-coded
> bootargs works).

You get a pretty big amount of flexibility at very low cost.  We
should not give this up lightly.

> In the worst case I would prefer hard-coding bootargs in SPL in a
> config flag and using it to build the list in SPL.

No, please don't. That'd be even worse because you will try to avoid
updating the SPL at all cost.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the demigodic party.
                                                   -- Dennis Ritchie