[U-Boot] mcf5307, timer 2 issue loading linux

angelo angelo70 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:06:21 CEST 2011

Hi all,

finally this is what seems to happen:

1. U-boot setup timer 2 using LEVEL 7 autovectored interrupt. For this case
the uClinux " movew   #0x2700, %sr " in head.S don't disable the timer
interrupt.
2. execution of uClinux proceed into head.S, rewriting %a7 (%sp) just
after writing
%sr.
3. at a certain (probably variable) moment, timer interrupt happen, and
since the
stack pointer is no more valid, it seems to get stucked and can't return
correctly.

Solution (temporary, RFC)
uBoot command bootm allows an "arch_preboot_os()":

cmd_bootm.c

case BOOTM_STATE_OS_GO:
          disable_interrupts();
          arch_preboot_os();
          boot_fn(BOOTM_STATE_OS_GO, argc, argv, &images);
          break;

I used it to disable LEVEL7 interrupt. Next os loading works.

NOTE: For this issue using command "go" is not possible, since it is not
meant for os loading,
and don't do any arch_preboot_os(); .

What i still don't understand is why this issue is not happening on
other coldfire models that have
UBoot and uClinux. Probably they are faster, and head.S can be processed
and timers re-initialized before interrupt occours.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
angelo

--