[U-Boot] Fwd: Link stage error of porting uboot2011-06

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Sun Aug 7 12:45:43 CEST 2011

Hi Larry,

Le 05/08/2011 05:13, larry a écrit :

> As your suggestion for me,Albert,I upgrade to uboot-v2011.06-rc3 by
> Git.This is the latest version i found on Git .And modified some places
> to make uboot buildable.Now arm-linux-readelf has no longer warns
> "segmentation fault", but after i burn u-boot.bin into flash,still
> nothing happened.
> I prefer to sending you a patch and readelf details that i generate with
> "git diff" and "arm-linux-readelf".

Patches as attachments are not really welcome on this list -- and as I
said, patches which are not submissions for mainline inclusion should be
avoided too.

Note that your patches have the added weirdness that many, if not all
files in your patch have undergone attribute changes, with an addition
of the "execute" flag that should never be set in a source code file. I
suspect you are working on a Windows machine?

Also, then changes that are in your patch are strange: I can only see an
addition in boards.cfg, based on what is there for B2, but nothing else.
Is your board supposed to be so similar to B2 that le U-Boot baseline
needs no change in the source code? But then, why would it need a change
in boards.cfg?

Also, you should refrain from describing problems with "does not work"
or "nothing happens". Clearly state what you do, how you do it, and then
what you expect and do no get, or conversively, what happens that you
did not expect.

Here for instance (assuming the code you're building is actually assumed
to work with your board, which I cannot check), what exactly "does not
happen"? What does the debugger tell you of the execution of the code?
Does it go through the board_init_f calls sequence? Does it relocate?
Does it enter the RAM execution stage?

> I am a freshman with uboot.I found no book or something else introduce
> uboot.Even has DULG,but sometimes it was really helpless for me.Just
> like the problem i met ,i have no idea how to deal with.I suppose
> something wrong with linking stage or my cross-compiler.

I suggest you browse the mailing list archives for patch sets meant to
add support for a new board and see how they are done and compare with
what you did.

> Because of attachment size limitation,i compress patch with bzip2.
> I suppose you can give me some advices.Thanks a lot.
>
> Best regards
> larry

Amicalement,
--