[U-Boot] d-cache enable

Lukasz Majewski l.majewski at samsung.com
Fri Aug 12 13:41:51 CEST 2011

Hi Aneesh,

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 16:29:25 +0530
Aneesh V <aneesh at ti.com> wrote:

> Hi Lukasz,
>
> On Tuesday 09 August 2011 08:11 PM, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > As we know dcache is now enabled in u-boot.
> >
> > I'm trying to make the S5P Goni target working with d-cache enabled.
> > There are some patches and ideas appearing on the list (e.g.
> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/109199/ made by Aneesh V)
> >

> > I'm currently using the u-boot/master branch,
> > SHA1: d26a82023af5771462f7223241ed18cfb7965f71
> >
> > After some research I can say that flush_dcache_all() and
> > invalidate_dcache_all() are working(at least on my target).
> >
> > However I'm planning to use the "range" versions:
> > 	flush_dcache_range((unsigned long) (buf), sizeof(buf));
> > 	invalidate_dcache_range((unsigned long) (buf), sizeof(buf));
> >
> > Those versions are not working on the Cortex-A8 (armv7) GONI target.
> > I'd like to ask if anybody was trying to use those functions
> > (defined at cache_v7.c) on other armv7 targets?
>
> I have tested cache on OMAP3(Cortex-A8) and OMAP4(Cortex-A9). Why do
> you think it's not working for you. Did you run some tests? If so,
> what was the result? Are you enabling only L1 or both L1 & L2? Can
> you try the attached crude patch for testing caches. You might have
> to change the addresses according to your platform. If you could run
> it, let me know the results.
>
> best regards,
> Aneesh

It is embarrassing to admit, but I've __wrongly__ assumed that *_range()
functions are accepting the start address and range for
invalidation/flushing.

Yes, they are working when I've realized how to use them :-).

My tests are not so sophisticated as yours since I'm using TRACE32 to
observe if the cache has been invalidated/flushed.

I will try to apply your test suite. Thanks for sharing them.

Lukasz Majewski

Samsung Poland R&D Center
Platform Group