[U-Boot] Patch submission process question

Simon Schwarz simonschwarzcor at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 16 09:06:01 CEST 2011

Hi Joe,

On 08/16/2011 03:20 AM, Joe Hershberger wrote:
> Hi u-boot,
>
> What is the recommended way to handle a patch series that depends on
> another patch series (already sent but not integrated)?

AFAIK the recommend way is to note in the patch that it depends on
another - best with some kind of link from gmane or a message-ID.

> How about a patch that was sent, that at the time didn't depend on
> another series, but after review and changes, now depends on those
> changes?
Then you have to note it in the version history that it now depends on
another patch - don't forget to also note it in the normal merge message.

> Even a bit more generally, some of the series are getting quite long
> due to small dependencies.  This tends to put lots of unrelated
> content into the same series based on small dependencies.  How is this
> supposed to be dealt with?  Is it best to make long series or just to
> send part of it and wait for it to be integrated before sending the
> rest?
Hm, here U'am not really sure - I think I would send a complete series -
but this is best answered by a custodian.

> Thanks,
> -Joe

Regards
Simon