[U-Boot] Pull request u-boot-marvell.git

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Sun Aug 21 10:05:57 CEST 2011

Hi Prafulla,

Le 21/08/2011 09:34, Prafulla Wadaskar a écrit :
> Hi Albert
>
> Please kindly pull
> The following changes since commit 043a76397696ca0a77ebee0ffc60bf31bdf37f02:
>    Prafulla Wadaskar (1):
>          Merge branch 'master' of git://git.marvell.com/mirror/denx.de/u-boot-arm into armmaster
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
>    u-boot-marvell.git master branch.
>
> Ajay Bhargav (2):
>        gpio: Add GPIO driver framework for Marvell SoCs
>        gpio: Add GPIO driver for Marvell SoC Armada100
>
>   arch/arm/include/asm/arch-armada100/gpio.h |   48 ++++++++++++
>   drivers/gpio/Makefile                      |    1 +
>   drivers/gpio/mvgpio.c                      |  115 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>   drivers/gpio/mvgpio.h                      |   74 ++++++++++++++++++
>   4 files changed, 238 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)
>   create mode 100644 arch/arm/include/asm/arch-armada100/gpio.h
>   create mode 100644 drivers/gpio/mvgpio.c
>   create mode 100644 drivers/gpio/mvgpio.h
>
> Regards..
> Prafulla . .

One question, to you, and one note, to all ARM custodians:

The question, about the patches:

These were submitted on 2011/07/21, after the merge window close of
2011/07/16, and are not a bugfix, right? If so they should only go to
master after the september release -- I can pull them into
u-boot-arm/next if you want then out of your plate, though.

The note, about pull request to the ARM repo:

I see (here, as in some pull reqs to ARM from others as well) that you
have merged the u-boot-arm/master tip in your tree. This causes two
problems, one minor, and one major.

The minor one is that the commit on which your pull request is emitted
is *not* a commit of u-boot-arm/master, whereas it should be.

The (more) major problem is that this merging is contrary to
<http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/U-Boot/CustodianGitTrees#Tips_for_maintaining_custodian_t>,
which mandates that repos be rebased onto their upstream repo, not that
they merge it.

This is not simply a question of style vs. substance: one of the reasons
to prefer rebases to merges is that merges prevent effective use of git
bisect, thus prevent tracking regressions.

(note: I think the Wiki can mislead readers into doing git pulls, which
actually cause merges, and it would be better if the Wiki suggested git
fetches instead -- and did not suggest use of intermediate branches such
as 'uboot' which are only syntactic sugaring for 'u-boot/master'.)

So custodians, instead of merging the upstream repo onto which you will
send a pull request, please do rebase your repo onto the upstream master
branch!

Amicalement,
--
Albert.