[U-Boot] [RFC] New init sequence processing without init_sequence array

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 23 13:52:07 CEST 2011

Dear Mike Frysinger,

In message <201108222100.25104.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> >    If you look at the current code - heavily larded with #ifdefs of
> >    all shapes and colors - I cannot see any good way to transform this
> >    into an initcall (and thus sequence number based) implementation.
> >    Do you have any specific ideas how to address this?
>
> if the funcs get merged by the linker script, the board still has full control
> over the init order by writing their own linker script

Indeed. So we have yet another point that makes debugging,
understanding and reviewing the code more difficult - now a simple
typo in the linker script also has the potential to mess up the init
sequence in not exactly funny ways.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Well I don't see why I have to make one man  miserable  when  I  can
make so many men happy."              - Ellyn Mustard, about marriage