[U-Boot] [RFC] New init sequence processing without init_sequence array

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 14:56:33 CEST 2011

Hi Wolfgang,

On 24/08/11 22:49, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Graeme Russ,
>
> In message <CALButCK=hN8VBmu+8EzVq7UhFFASrj_ZjN_Yz8WQT0QnXjLoog at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>>> Agreed.  I should have written: I have a _readable_ source file that
>>> can be parsed without additional tools.
>>
>> I would hardly call 'grep' an extra tool - How many programmers do you
>> know that have never used grep?
>
> That's not the point.  There is a significant difference between seeng
> the source code in your favorite editor or in the source code window
> of your debugger's GUI or even some IDE,  versus having to run
> additional commands in a separate window.
>
>> And by defining #DEBUG I can have a parallel list of function names so when
>> the loop picks up the next funtion pointer, it picks up the name as well
>> ready to examine before stepping in - OK, not ideal, but still, I think
>> the flexibility to seamlessly inject init functions at the board level
>> outweighs this
>
> Sorry, but when reading the source code or when revioewing patches I
> cannot paick up any next funtion pointers, I'm stuck with reading the
> source code only.

Well, I guess I had a good shot at creating a 'better' init sequence - one
where any board, SoC, or arch can seamlessly inject a custom init step
without treading on any toes.

I must say, it was rather fun learning how to build the macros and get the
linker to do the right thing and have it all work so quickly. I'll stick it
in my bag of tricks for another day :)

Regards,

Graeme