[U-Boot] RFC: Testing U-Boot Part 1

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Aug 25 16:56:39 CEST 2011

On Thursday, August 25, 2011 09:56:02 Andreas Bießmann wrote:
> Am 25.08.2011 14:58, schrieb Simon Glass:
> > U-Boot. I would like to have a test suite that can run in a minute or
> > two on a Linux PC and test all non-platform code.
>
> <snip>
>
> > To get around this I propose that we create a new ‘native’
> > architecture. We write code in ‘arch/native’ which can run under
> > Linux. Since all the non-platform code will happily run under this new
> > ‘architecture’, we can then write tests which run quickly under x86
> > Linux (or another Linux for that matter). This U-Boot 'architecture'
> > should build natively on any 32/64-bit Linux machine since it just
> > uses standard Linux system calls. Calls to Linux would be entirely
> > within this arch/native subdirectory.
>
> why don't use some unit testing framework like cunit, or ceedling (which
> can do HW mocks easily)?

these testing frameworks wont make any difference to what Simon is proposing.
he is focusing on getting u-boot to build & run on your desktop machine.
after that is done, we can talk about the actual tests and harnesses (although
anything that requires ruby should immediately be disqualified imo :P).
-mike