[U-Boot] gcc-4.6 warnings

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 25 22:39:35 CEST 2011

Dear Kumar Gala,

In message <7056F5B1-AD6C-459E-80F1-8EE436CC781A at kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:

> > well, that's the reason for the warnings showing up, it isn't the
> > reason why we cannot fix these?
>
> :), Thus my query if we really wanted to try and fix them by adding more
> #ifdef's or live with that as an acceptable thing to do.

My experience is that hushing up GCC warnings is not really a good
idea.  First, you will then also fail to see when new code adds such
problems.  Second, there have been cases where warnings in one GCC
version because serious bugs in later versions, so we better fix them.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.
                        - Sir Winston Churchill _My Early Life_ ch. 9