[U-Boot] Support for Intel i7 2nd GEneration processors

Flash K bootloader99 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 07:35:33 CEST 2011

Hi Graeme,

I was checking out other alternatives to BIOS. I came across EFI , a new technology that seems to replace the BIOS in the near future. However I am still not clear as to where EFI fits in the booting process. They say that EFI cannot replace the BIOS but plans to do so in the near future.

FAQs at http://www.uefi.org/about/

Intel also says that they are providing support for some motherboards. So is UEFI meant for use with the existing BIOS or with a custom developed BIOS from Uboot/Coreboot? Some information online also says that UEFI can be used as a payload for Coreboot. The entire thing is a little confusing. I am not able to understand where UEFI fits in with the BIOIS?

Could you please help?

Regards,
Flash