[U-Boot] SPI flash protection

Simon Guinot simon at sequanux.org
Tue Feb 1 10:09:08 CET 2011

Hi Reinhard,

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 08:17:36AM +0100, Reinhard Meyer wrote:
> Dear Albert ARIBAUD, Simon Guinot,

> >>Block size is 64KB. The compiled U-Boot image is about 220KB and
> >>environment is 4KB. So, 4 blocks are required for U-Boot.
>
> I don't know your particular hardware, but is not u-boot (or the
> initial bootloader if there is any) fetched from the *beginning*
> of the flash?
>
> If so, you would have to *hardware* protect the *entire* flash.

Yes you are right. Moreover the protected blocks (for a same register
value) _could_ be different on an another Macronix device.
For example, larger flash use 4 bits instead of 3 for block protection.

> In this case, a *software* protection mechanism like for NOR flash
> would be a better choice.

Or no protection at all. After all, there is no such mechanism
implemented for u-boot and Linux...

Best regards,

Simon