[U-Boot] [U-BOOT PROBLEM] RAM loading RAMdisk addresses

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Feb 1 11:43:35 CET 2011

Dear "GRACE, ERWAN (ERWAN)** CTR **",

please make sure to keep the mailing list on Cc:

Also, please restrict your line length to some 70 characters or so.

In message <F427B25935CD0742BA694C0B6918F5701B70632924 at FRMRSSXCHMBSE2.dc-m.alcatel-lucent.com> you wrote:

> Thank you for your answer. I'd like to precise that the 2 RAMdisks
> weren't built from exactly the same set of files. There's a small
> difference between these RAMdisks as one of them was generated
> after replacing only one filewith another file which is supposed to
> be exactly the same as the first one. So, at the end of the day,
> these RAMdisks should have the same size but that isn't the case. I

No, they should not.  They should probably have the same content on a
file system level, but when erasing a file and replacing it by another
one (or even an identical copy) you will have other file system blocks
used, other inode and free block lists, etc.  In other words, the
binary images of the file systems will be different.  They will most
probably also compress to different sizes, then.

> precise that I'm not the person who generated these RAMdisks,
> that's why I try to understand why there's such a difference betw
> een them. Moreover, in the messages displayed on the screen when the

They are different images, with different sizes.

> board is booting, we can see that the addresses shown in the line
> know where these addressesare defined (in a configuration file? In

They are computed based on the ramdisk sizes (plus some rounding).
Given different ramdisk sizes you end up with different load
addresses.  There is no magic anywhere here.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Emotions are alien to me.  I'm a scientist.
	-- Spock, "This Side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3