[U-Boot] MPC8xx malloc failing

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Feb 2 16:33:35 CET 2011

Dear saugat mitra,

In message <AANLkTinLdpASkBPhJ+EYG6rtvEeixtH7x8dydHQBATVF at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> The project was started more than a year back and that time 2009.11
> was the latest version, so we are still continuing with the same.

I can imagine that you dislike this, but you are learning a lesson
the hard way now. If you have to maintain your software for more than
a few months (which usually applies only to few fast-living, high
volume consumer devices)  it is usually a good investment to push your
changes upstream so they get included into mainline code, and the
community does most of the maintenance work for you.  You did not, so
now you have to allthe work needed to bring your code back in sync
with mainline yourself.

> On running the back trace I found that functions to be called were from -
> malloc
> env_relocate
> board_init_r
> trap_init
>
> To be more precise the code was dying while in the following loop from
> the function malloc() in dlmalloc.c. It executes the loop twice before
> crashing.

This is definitely not the place where the problem is.  The problem
happened earlier, and you see only the results of earlier failures
here.

But we don't know your code, nor your configuration...  And digging
down into old code is not exactly interesting either, at least not in
the context of free community work.

I recommend you update, and then you post your patches.  The review
process might catch a problem or two.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I can't understand it. I can't even understand  the  people  who  can
understand it.                    - Queen Juliana of the Netherlands.