[U-Boot] P1022 eTSEC

Peter Tyser ptyser at xes-inc.com
Wed Feb 9 23:01:45 CET 2011

Hi Renaud,

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 20:21 +0000, Renaud Barbier wrote:
> We have a system with a P1022 connected to a 5461S in SGMII mode.
>
> In order to make it work in SGMII mode, I set TBI ANA to 0x4001 as per
> AN3869. Note that those bit are described as reserved in the P1022 doc
> that I have.
> I was then able to transfer data at 100/1000 (10 not tested).
>
> As per AN3869 a value of 0x1a0 is  for 1000BASE-X.
>

> Looking at the tsec driver (drivers/net/tsec.c), one can see:
>
> #define TBIANA_SETTINGS ( \
>          TBIANA_ASYMMETRIC_PAUSE \
>          | TBIANA_SYMMETRIC_PAUSE \
>          | TBIANA_FULL_DUPLEX \
>          )
> ==> 0x1a0
>
> if (regs->ecntrl & ECNTRL_SGMII_MODE)
>          tsec_configure_serdes(priv);
>
> That would mean the TBI ANA is not set correctly when SGMII
> is reported.
>
> Please can you verify this.

Gotta love those undocumented register bits:)  This same issue has been
discussed a number of times, but no one ever noticed the 0x4001 in
AN3869, or assumed it was an error.  The bug also didn't seem to affect
some PHYs, eg Vitesse models:

http://old.nabble.com/-U-Boot---PATCH--tsec:-Force-TBI-PHY-to-1000Mbps-full-duplex-in-SGMII-mode-td26188785.html
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/89059
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/80256

My company worked around the issue by not enabling auto-negotiation in
the TBI control register via a custom CONFIG_TSEC_TBICR_SETTINGS value.
I just tried removing our workaround and setting TBIANA_SETTINGS to
0x4001, and it looks like it works on a P2020-based board with a
BCM5482S PHY.

It'd be ideal if someone from from Freescale chimed in so we knew what
bits we were hitting in the TBIANA register.  The change has my ack
though.  Let me know if you don't plan on submitting a change and I'll
update our boards, as well as the value of TBIANA_SETTINGS.

Best,
Peter