[U-Boot] at91 failures under temperature?

Remy Bohmer linux at bohmer.net
Fri Feb 11 21:59:24 CET 2011

Hi,

2011/2/7 Joey Oravec <joravec at drewtech.com>:
> Hi -
>
> I've been investigating a problem involving the at91sam9261 processor.
> Across 2 or 3 years we've manufactured two products with:
>
> Crystal: 16.000 MHz
> Processor Clock: 240 MHz (PLLA *15)
> Master Clock: 120 MHz
> VDDCORE: 1.2v
>
> Based on testing history, about 10% of the assemblies fail starting
> above 30 degC. The simplest testcase to demonstrate is: 1) use uboot
> relocated to SDRAM as normal 2) enable caches 3) fill 16mb of SDRAM with
> a known pattern 4) use a test command to continually calculate and print
> CRC. As you apply heat to the processor the testcase will print an
> incorrect CRC. If the unit has not already crashed you can decrease the
> temperature and see the correct CRC again, which demonstrates that SDRAM
> hasn't flipped any bits.
>
> Extending ram timings or lowering master clock (ie. sdram bus clock) has
> no impact. Lowering the processor clock to 224 MHz makes the problem go
> away -- at this speed I can heat the processor to the rated 85 C and the
> testcase above will not fail. Also replacing the processor usually makes
> the problem go away. You won't see the problem with any variable
> changed: caches disabled, any processor clock below 240 MHz, or VDDCORE
> at 1.3v.
>
> I'm using PLL R/C calculated by the spreadsheet, and 240 MHz @ 1.2v
> should be within spec up to 85 C. I've requested failure analysis on
> some of the processors but I don't expect an answer any time soon.
>
> Is anybody else successful with a 240 MHz processor clock, or are you
> using a lower processor clock for greater reliability? Can you recommend
> any other diagnostics that might identify the root cause? In the
> meantime for maximum reliability, I recommend using a processor clock
> less than 240 MHz and checking your hardware with a similar testcase.

Funny... I always thought the Master-CLK could not go above 100MHz...
I do not know the exact reason any more...
Either way, we use it for several years now at 200/100Mhz with a 10MHz crystal.

Anyway: This problem is not related to U-boot in any way, and is
therefor OT. You should discuss this with Atmel.
And some good news: We had a similar problem last year. I will explain off-list.

Kind regards,

Remy