[U-Boot] BSS footprint of FAT very high - SPL issues

Aneesh V aneesh at ti.com
Sat Feb 12 07:13:33 CET 2011

Hi Ulf,

On Saturday 12 February 2011 02:46 AM, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> 2011-02-01 09:26, Aneesh V skrev:
>> Hi Vaibhav,
>>
>> On Tuesday 01 February 2011 12:22 PM, Bedia, Vaibhav wrote:
>>> Hi Aneesh,

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I guess you will hit a similar issue with the networking related code is used (I am not sure if SPL uses it). That also requires a decent size of bss.
>> Luckily we don't need networking related code in SPL.
>>
>> I would prefer to have rest of the BSS in internal RAM itself.
>>
>> best regards,
>> Aneesh
> The way this problem is fixed on the AT91 is to run at91bootstrap first.
> This program will initialize the SDRAM and copy u-boot to SDRAM.

Thank you for the suggestion.

But please note that the SPL I am trying to create does exactly the
same. But the problem is that we allow users to keep the bootloaders
and kernel in the FAT partition of an MMC card(typically used for
development not on production systems). So, I have to support MMC and
FAT in SPL to load u-boot.

thanks,
Aneesh