[U-Boot] Is it possible to load the uboot.bin file to RAM area instead FLASH?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 14 09:46:05 CET 2011

Dear Madhavi Manchala,

In message <AANLkTinWxhP6Xve6ZEKg0wcmthRXVACcG33KT93exxaS at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Actually, I want to load the "u-boot" file into SDRAM area and run
> from the SD RAM only instead of FLASH area. Here, the RAM address
> starts from 0x00000000 in our board. I tried to modify some of the
> macros like PHYS_SDRAM_1 and its size. However, there is no luck. Even
> I did not see any messages on the hyper terminal.
> Any ideas / hints would be greatly help me and appreciated.

Well, if should read the related FAQ entry (see
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/CanUBootBeConfiguredSuchThatItCanBeStartedInRAM).
Then you should ask yourself why this is the number 1 FAQ entry, and
then you should probably read it again.

One of the key phrases is this one:

	This requires a lot of experience with U-Boot, and the fact
	that you had to ask if this can be done means that you are not
	in a position to do this.

It is obvious that you are still learning, so the "requires a lot of
experience" part does not apply. You have access to a JTAG debugger,
and it appears it is actually working on your hardware.

Why are you then making your own life more difficult than needed? Why
are you attempting to do things that are not needed nor useful at all?
Instead, focus on how the actual system is booting, and get this
working, step after step.

Do NOT mess with the memory set up manually. Do NOT modify the U-Boot
code to do things you don't understand yet, because this will also
prevent U-Boot from working under normal conditions.

Do not ignore the FAQ.  If some answers are not what you are looking
for then ask yourself if you are asking the right questions.  Keep in
mind that most of these FAQ have been written by people who have a lot
of experience with U-Boot.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.