[U-Boot] IXP42x patch series version 3

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Mon Feb 14 13:00:24 CET 2011

Le 14/02/2011 00:38, Michael Schwingen a écrit :
> Am 02/13/2011 11:03 PM, schrieb Wolfgang Denk:
>> Dear Graeme Russ,
>>
>> In message<AANLkTikxv+ATsYAP5ismLo5pj=TrFV_oQNk=8qVh1tDH at mail.gmail.com>  you wrote:
>>> For multi-patch series, you only need to put the revision history in the
>>> [00/nn] file - No need to individually annotate each and every patch
>> This is *wrong*.
>>
>> See the Note at bullet 2 at
>> http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/U-Boot/Patches#Sending_updated_patch_versions

(I plead guilty, then. I, too, did put patchset history only in the
summary post, and never commented others who did it too)

> Do you have any advise *how* to do that using git?
>
> Any pointer is fine, I can RTFM if I know where to start.

Git itself won't give you a way to do this. What I do is:

- when I create a V2 patchset I edit the patch messages manually to add
history (in the summary so far, I'll fix this for future patchsets) and
keep the patch messages around;

- when I create a V3-or-later patchset, I copy-paste the history from
the previous set then add the new history entry.

Being a creature of habit, I am used to launching two instances of nedit
with the V(n-1) and V(n) patch sets for this.

> cu
> Michael

Amicalement,
--