[U-Boot] Is it possible to load the uboot.bin file to RAM area instead FLASH?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Feb 14 14:53:51 CET 2011

Dear Madhavi Manchala,

In message <AANLkTimjnUuUuCha24JSNcpkB=gOKT-+qN9Br1Dpf3Bd at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I have a J-Link JTAG and J-LinkGDBServer software tool for debugging
> the code which are purchased from segger.com. The board consists of
> Samsung S3C2510A MCU, Flash memory, SD RAM and UARTS. Here, my work is
> to load the OS image (like OpenWRT) on to the board. For this, I
> chosen that I want load the u-boot first and then from the u-boot
> prompt load the OS image. That is the reason, I want to load the
> u-boot first.

yes - but U-Boot is designed to boot from flash, so you should program
it to flash ans start it there.  Do not attempt to force it into a
mode of operation that it was NOT designed for unless you know exactly
what you are doing.  You are just adding complexity, which means you
are wasting your time. And ours.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Thought for the day: What if there were no hypothetical situations?