[U-Boot] Avoiding Relocation on ARM When Earlier Bootloader Inits RAM?

Tim Kryger tkryger at broadcom.com
Mon Feb 14 18:01:14 CET 2011

Hello,

After looking at code, searching the mailing list archive, and reviewing the git
commit log, I now understand that for ARM relocation is performed unless U-Boot
is already running at its final destination as computed within board_init_f.
Since this computation attempts to back off from the end of RAM the resulting
address varies when U-Boot changes size.  On my board I have an earlier
bootloader that initializes RAM.  Presently, it copies U-Boot near the start of
RAM and lets U-Boot relocate itself to the end.  This is inefficient and I would
like to eliminate the extra copy.  I suspect that my situation is not unique and
would be grateful to anyone willing to share their thoughts or experiences on
how best to deal with this.

Thanks,
Tim Kryger