[U-Boot] Avoiding Relocation on ARM When Earlier Bootloader Inits RAM?

Tim Kryger tkryger at broadcom.com
Mon Feb 14 23:22:54 CET 2011

Wolfgang,

> Please be careful in the use of terms. It appears you are using
> "relocating" when you actually mean "copying".  Keep in mind that
> these are two very different operations.

I understand.  Sorry for the confusion.

> Note that there is no guarantee that such an approach will continue to
> work in future releases.  Also note that you will then have to
> maintain your own linker script and keep it in sync with all other
> changes - which just adds maintenance efforts.

I agree.  The linker script approach is far from ideal.

> Why exactly do you care about this?  What is the problem you're trying
> to address?

I am primarily motivated by reducing boot time but I have not yet determined
exactly how much time is spent performing the copy.  At this point I am simply
trying to understand my options.  Additionally, I was curious how others dealt
with the flexibility/performance trade on boards with earlier bootloaders.

Thanks,
Tim Kryger