[U-Boot] reasons for armv5 as default

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Feb 19 20:46:01 CET 2011

Dear Alexander Holler,

In message <4D5FE8F0.1020607 at ahsoftware.de> you wrote:

> Btw, while we are there, is there any reason, besides being carefull,
> why u-boot for arm is compiled with -march=armv5(te) by default?

Because that's the lowest ARM instruction set version supported widely
across available tool chains.

> I'm just curious if there are some reasons for not using march=amrv7a
> for armv7 platforms and don't want to start a discussion about removing
> that default.

Well, a major reason for not doing this is that "amrv7a" is a typo :-P

Other reasons are for example explained in doc/README.omap3 or
doc/README.s5pc1xx

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Command, n.:
            Statement presented by a human and accepted by a computer
in such a manner as to make the human feel as if he is in control.